Restaurant manager s letter to autistic girl s mum
Restaurant manager's letter to autistic girl's mum
Tony has been a restaurant manager for the past 15 years. He was so moved after receiving complaints from customers about a mother and child at his restaurant that he decided to pen an amazing letter.
"To the woman and child who sat at Table 9," Tony posted on his blog.
"I did not introduce myself to you. My name is Tony Posnanski. I have been a restaurant manager for 15 years now. My day consists of making sure my restaurant runs well. That could mean washing dishes, cooking and sometimes even serving tables. I have also dealt with every guest complaint you can imagine.
"A few weeks back you came into my restaurant. I was very busy that night. I was running around helping the kitchen cook food. I was asked to talk to a table close to yours. I did and they said your child was being very loud. I heard some yelling while I was talking to that table. I heard a very loud beep from a young girl.
"I started to walk to your table. You knew what I was going to ask. You saw the table I just spoke to pointing at you. I got to your table and you looked at me. You wanted the first word. You said...
Do you know what it is like to have a child with autism? "
The restaurant manager said the mother didn't appear rude in her sincere question.
He looked down at her daughter, who he said looked about five years old.
"She was beautiful and looked scared that I was at the table. She looked like she thought she was in trouble," the letter continued.
He recalled some of his less impressive moments in the restaurant industry. Every time he had been yelled at by unsatisfied customers, his struggles telling cutting people off from the bar, and having to tell tables with loud children to calm down.
"However, I do remember everything about the day my son was born. How I cried when I heard him cry. How I stood there and told him I would do anything for him and be the best father possible. I remember the day I married my wife. How I cried and promised to be the best husband possible. I remember the day my daughter was born. I did not cry that day. I was just so relieved because I lost a child two years earlier."
"I know what I was supposed to say when I went to your table. I was supposed to politely tell you to please not have your daughter yell. I was supposed to offer to move you to another area. I was supposed to offend you by not offending you..."
"I did not do any of that.
"Instead I just told you I hoped your meal was awesome. I high fived your daughter and then I told you that your meal was on us tonight. It was only sixteen dollars. It meant more to me than that. I do not think the other guests I spoke to were happy about it. At that moment it did not matter to me."